Monday, April 1, 2013

Safe keeping

As I continue working on the last leg of my internship, I am reminded how lucky I am to be able to has access to the many documents and artifacts in the FHS archives. As I was searching through a box, I noticed a copied version of a journal with a note attached that explained that the original was in the safe and in a delicate condition. This sparked my interest so I requested to view the original. I was able to go into the "safe", where fragile and very old items are held. I examined the journal and let me tell you, photocopied versions do not do old artifacts any justice! Although I completely understand the protection and preservation is first and foremost, being able to touch the real thing is exciting! The journal was from a man named John W. Phelps and it is a detailed account of his time during the Second Seminole War an his operations with the Creek Indians. It included hand drawings of camp scenes, himself and Seminole Indians. It is truly an intimate and treasured piece of history that not only researchers of Florida Native American history can benefit from, but all historians alike.





No comments:

Post a Comment