Friday, March 22, 2013

The Key to Collection Managent

This week in the archives I was faced with the dilemma of having too many documents and not enough time. For an intern I have learned that this is usually the case. The project at hand of preparing a finding guide requires great detail and sometimes this may be time consuming. However I have gathered a lot of really interesting and awesome pieces of history that will no doubt be of impeccable interest to researchers of Florida Native American history!

Also this week transitioned from gathering information to learning how to enter that information into the computer. One of my supervisors, Ben Dibiase, taught me the basics of using the PastPerfect database. For those of you interested in working for a historical society or museum, you will most likely come across this database. It makes collection management so much easier! It is a tool that allow Archivists to assist researchers with finding what they are looking for more efficiently. In the upcoming weeks I will be entering the documents I have gathered into the database and determining what key words researchers would use to find said documents. I really enjoyed learning how to use the database not only because i love to organize, but also because I know this skill will be essential after graduation and in my career.

No comments:

Post a Comment