Monday, February 4, 2013

Making History "public", one transcription at a time

Primary documents may be challenging to read to the untrained eye. I have some training in Paleography, which is the study of earlier writing, so l am fortunate to be able to somewhat make it through early American handwriting unscathed. Although the feeling of being able to read a primary document is that of excitement and accomplishment; reading a transcription of the same document is ideal.
During my internship, I have come across many transcriptions of very old, and almost illegible documents. I have come to appreciate transcriptions for the simple fact that they allow for a quicker read. Researchers may not have a lot of time to get a project done. I have come to realize how extremely important it is for Public Historians to transcribe old documents; it allows the public to better utilize history. What good is it if it cannot be read and interpreted? So, if you are interested in History, I recommend learning the art of Paleography and transcribing a few documents on your own!

Below is a transcription I found this week. It is a transcript of MSS Captain Fitch's "Journal to the Creek's" dated 1726.

No comments:

Post a Comment